Lead Talent Acquisition Partner - Product & Engineering (remote, UK-based)
Location: Remote, mainly UK based, as travel to our London hub will be required once a month.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. Chatting on WhatsApp, hailing an Uber, asking Alexa what the weather will be like tomorrow, working in the same Google Doc as your colleague: all of these things rely on complex, behind-the-scenes realtime infrastructure. That’s what Ably provides for companies like HubSpot, Toyota Racing Development, OfferUp, and Hopin.
We now live in a remote-first world where realtime digital interactions underpin our daily lives. In the near future, Autonomous Vehicles, IoT devices (e.g. connected fridges or environment sensors), and AI-powered experiences will be the norm. But new infrastructure is required to power it all.
The opportunity in front of us is immense. Our mission is to become the definitive realtime infrastructure of the internet while powering and accelerating adoption of realtime user experiences. We’re on track. Everyday we deliver billions of realtime messages to more than 200 million people in 80 different countries across web, mobile, and IoT platforms. But we can’t rest yet. In five years we want to reach one billion people everyday.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at https://ably.com/careers and read the story of how Ably's core values came to be.
In this role
We’re looking for a Lead Talent Acquisition Partner to hire a wide variety of roles across Product and Engineering. You'll partner closely with the leaders of our technical teams to understand their priorities, help them design and execute successful hiring processes and bring in a diverse set of candidates to Ably. You'll have responsibility for the entire candidate lifecycle including sourcing, interviewing and closing, as well as giving insight and recommendations to hiring managers along the way. Always caring about our employer brand and giving candidates the best possible experience.
This is the first role of its kind at Ably, so it’s a great opportunity to come in and make the technical recruiting function your own. You’ll not only lead the way in getting us set up for scale, but you’ll set the standard for hiring in the right way.
Day to day, you will:
- Partner with hiring managers and stakeholders to build effective sourcing and closing strategies
- Manage complex projects, breaking them down into smaller pieces to deliver results
- Put candidate experience at the forefront of everything you do, always thinking of ways to improve
- Work in a fast-paced hyper growth environment with a growing team
- Eventually have the opportunity grow and lead your own talent acquisition team
It would be great if you have:
- Extensive experience of recruiting within engineering, with a network to back it up
- Experience working within a start-up, in an in-house recruitment position
- Experience of working with various ATS's, internet search tools, web Boolean searching and sourcing tools
- Awesome prioritisation skills, balancing your workload effectively and making sure you deliver across a range of roles
- Excellent negotiation skills
- Experience using data to drive decisions and can put together business cases based around data
- Great relationship building skills and the ability to build relationships with hiring managers across Ably and the candidates in process
It would be nice if you have:
- Team management/leadership experience and skill
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team.
To provide the infrastructure required for the next generation of the internet, to tell the world about it, and to support everyone inside Ably to do so, we hire people who are ready and capable of taking on challenging problems in a high-growth environment.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. To thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values:
Open for all. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
Bias for action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
Even the best do better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
Bold creativity leads to the greatest rewards. When viewed through a different lense, what stands in the way can become the way. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice: bold creativity will always move us forward, create better outcomes, and set us apart.
What’s in it for you?
- A good, competitive salary
- A great company culture
- Share options
- The chance to learn and grow with a fast-moving company, supported by a learning budget that gives you access to professional training, events, conferences, workshops etc.
- Remote first: Unless you want to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London, you'll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions and Summits
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up budget of £500, plus an annual top-up of £250
- Regular company away days and social events
- Friday need-to-know drinks and snacks
- Private health insurance, including Doctor@Hand
- Access to private and confidential coaching or counselling via Sanctus
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme with AXA
- A monthly wellbeing budget with Juno
- Company contributions towards your pension
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- 10 days of paid sick leave (including mental health days) per year
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the spec exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.
We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion.