People and Talent Partner - North America (Remote)
Location: Remote, mainly East Coast (Boston) based, as travel to our Boston hub will be required once a month for team planning and collaboration purposes.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. Chatting on WhatsApp, hailing an Uber, asking Alexa what the weather will be like tomorrow, working in the same Google Doc as your colleague: all of these things rely on complex, behind-the-scenes realtime infrastructure. That’s what Ably provides for companies like HubSpot, Toyota Racing Development, OfferUp, and Hopin.
We now live in a remote-first world where realtime digital interactions underpin our daily lives. In the near future, Autonomous Vehicles, IoT devices (e.g. connected fridges or environment sensors), and AI-powered experiences will be the norm. But new infrastructure is required to power it all.
The opportunity in front of us is immense. Our mission is to become the definitive realtime infrastructure of the internet while powering and accelerating adoption of realtime user experiences. We’re on track. Everyday we deliver billions of realtime messages to more than 250 million people in 80 different countries across web, mobile, and IoT platforms. But we can’t rest yet. In five years we want to reach one billion people everyday.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at https://ably.com/careers and read the story of how Ably's core values came to be.
Team & role
We are growing rapidly, and we seek a highly motivated People and Talent Partner to help us expand for the first time out to the U.S. The ideal candidate will be culture-focused, bring enthusiasm to the team, and exhibit maturity and expertise to support a variety of needs across People and Talent. This role will report to the CPO based in the UK, and work to bring a high level of excellence to the full employee lifecycle, being an accelerant for the rapid growth we are experiencing. You will be motivated by the challenge and autonomy this role brings - not being afraid to roll up your sleeves to build a company and culture we a love to be a part of.
Working in partnership with the People and Talent team in the UK, you will:
- Build out and manage employee lifecycle programs from onboarding to offboarding, and everything in between. Oversee the management and administration of HR Operations and employee policies in the U.S.
- Enhance and implement best practices that will improve efficiency and the overall effectiveness of the People and Talent functions.
- Responsible for full life cycle recruiting, engaging with candidates from the screening phase through offer negotiation.
- Work with Hiring Managers to design and update job descriptions and refine role specific interview processes.
- Act as a Strategic Business Partner to Hiring Managers on developing recruiting strategies, reporting on recruiting metrics, and driving continuous improvement.
- Own job promotion including publishing to job boards and social media platforms.
- Move candidates quickly and efficiently through the hiring process including candidate communications, interview scheduling, phone screening and reference checks.
- Own all HR and Talent Systems administration, metrics, and data, including managing the RFP process, implementation, and roll out of any new technologies.
- Lead the rollout of HR and Recruiting programs, policies, and initiatives to ensure consistent implementation and application.
- Design and implement projects related to employee experience in the U.S.
- Work closely with the People and Talent team in the U.K. to successfully achieve quarterly OKRs and projects.
- Recommend ideas and strategies related to People and Talent that will contribute to the long term growth of the company, implementing any new processes and fine tuning standard processes that fit with Ably's mission and values.
Desired skills & experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred) with solid recruiting and HR related work experience.
- Knowledge of American HR processes, and employment law.
- Relevant work experience in a fast-paced startup.
- Solid understanding of how to recruit multiple disparate positions simultaneously.
- Proficiency with HRIS and ATS systems.
- A true passion for people, culture and process.
- Growth mindset - always looking for ways to make things better, faster, more efficient.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to seek out answers to questions and problems.
- Adaptability, a detail oriented mindset and ability to prioritize.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical and decision making abilities.
- Tact, discretion, and sensitivity when dealing with confidential information.
- Ability to work autonomously and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
- Polished communication style, both oral and written, and a comfort interfacing with various levels across the organization, with both technical and non-technical audiences.
What's it like to work with us?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. To provide the infrastructure required for the next generation of the internet, to tell the world about it, and to support everyone inside Ably to do so, we hire people who are ready and capable of taking on challenging problems in a high-growth environment.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. To thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values:
Open for all. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
Bias for action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
Even the best do better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
Bold creativity leads to the greatest rewards. When viewed through a different lens, what stands in the way can become the way. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice: bold creativity will always move us forward, create better outcomes, and set us apart.
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.