Sales Development Representative (remote, UK-based)
Location: Remote, mainly UK based, as travel to our London office will be required once a month.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of a digital world where realtime interactions underpin our personal and professional daily lives. Chatting on WhatsApp, hailing an Uber, asking Alexa what the weather will be like tomorrow, collaborating in the same Google Doc: all of these things rely on complex, behind-the-scenes realtime infrastructure. That’s what Ably provides for companies like HubSpot, Toyota Racing Development, OfferUp, and Hopin.
The opportunity in front of us is immense. Our mission is to become the definitive realtime infrastructure of the internet while powering and accelerating adoption of realtime user experiences. Ably is on track: everyday we deliver billions of realtime messages to more than 100 million people in 80 different countries across web, mobile, and IoT platforms. But we can’t rest yet. In a couple of years we want to reach one billion people everyday through the same and new channels.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at ably.com/careers.
In this role
As a Sales Development Representative (SDR), you will play a critical role in the success of our sales organization by proactively identifying, nurturing, and qualifying new opportunities. At Ably, you will work with current and future users to understand their business problems, identify ways Ably's capabilities can help, and facilitate the development of their relationship with Ably.
You will develop and foster a wide range of technical, analytical, and sales skills. Our goal is to set you up for success as a SDR while providing opportunities for you to grow and advance your career at Ably.
Day to day, you will:
- Collaborate with sales, marketing, customer success, and our partner team to develop new strategies to build our sales pipeline and grow our business
- Help define and execute a proactive approach to identifying new sales opportunities
- Use HubSpot, LinkedIn, and other prospecting tools to research accounts, identify key contacts, and craft targeted messaging
- Learn our technology and effectively communicate our value proposition with a technical audience. Work to understand their goals and challenges to better understand how we can help
You will have:
- 1+ years of experience in sales or sales development in the enterprise software space
- A bachelor degree or equivalent in business, marketing, computer science, or a related field
- The ability to be outgoing and empathetic, with a passion for problem-solving and relationship-building
- Knowledge of CRM systems and common office applications
It would be nice if you have:
- 2+ years of experience in sales or sales development of infrastructure or appdev software
- Additional European language(s)
- Ambition to grow with Ably
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team.
To provide the infrastructure required for the next generation of the internet, to tell the world about it, and to support everyone inside Ably to do so we hire people who are ready and capable of taking on challenging problems in a high-growth environment.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. To thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values, which are:
Open for all. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
Bias for action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
Even the best do better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
Bold creativity leads to the greatest rewards. When viewed through a different lense, what stands in the way can become the way. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice: bold creativity will always move us forward, create better outcomes, and set us apart.
What’s in it for you?
- A good, competitive salary
- A great company culture
- Share options
- The chance to learn and grow with a fast-moving company, supported by a learning budget that gives you access to professional training, events, conferences, workshops etc.
- Remote first: Unless you want to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London, you'll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions and summits
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!
- Regular company away days and social events
- Friday need-to-know drinks and snacks
- Health insurance, including Doctor@Hand
- Employee Assistance Programme
- ClassPass membership
- Cycle to work
- Company contributions towards your pension
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the spec exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.
We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion.