Senior Ruby on Rails Developer (remote, UK-based)
Location: Remote, mainly UK based, as travel to our London office will be required once a month.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of a digital world where realtime interactions underpin our personal and professional daily lives. Chatting on WhatsApp, hailing an Uber, asking Alexa what the weather will be like tomorrow, collaborating in the same Google Doc: all of these things rely on complex, behind-the-scenes realtime infrastructure. That’s what Ably provides for companies like HubSpot, Toyota Racing Development, OfferUp, and Hopin.
The opportunity in front of us is immense. Our mission is to become the definitive realtime infrastructure of the internet while powering and accelerating adoption of realtime user experiences. Ably is on track: everyday we deliver billions of realtime messages to more than 100 million people in 80 different countries across web, mobile, and IoT platforms. But we can’t rest yet. In a couple of years we want to reach one billion people everyday through the same and new channels.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at ably.com/careers.
Read the story of how Ably's core values came to be.
In this role
You will be responsible for hands-on development and assisting the web engineering team to deliver our website, developer dashboards, common services, and provisioning APIs that our customers, developers like yourself, depend on.
Day to day, you will:
- Have a standup with your team to help everyone stay synchronized
- Work closely with your team members to deliver features, asynchronously and remote pairing
- Performing code reviews on pull requests to help the team ship quality software
- Work with people from across the business to develop features that are valuable to ourselves and our clients
- Identify room for improvement, in our process and our code
It would be great if you have:
Ruby. A minimum of four years professional experience using Ruby.
Testing strategies. You must have a strong working knowledge and experience of continuous integration and testing frameworks with a pyramid approach (unit testing, integration testing, acceptance testing, etc).
Architectural design and design patterns. You should have experience making architectural decisions for large web applications, and be well versed and a strong advocate of design patterns, where applicable.
It would be nice if you have:
- Experience delivering developer-focussed APIs
- Knowledge of realtime, event-driven and streaming protocols
- An interest in functional programming with Elixir or Clojure
- Good grasp of Agile, Kanban and SCRUM
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Founded by two engineers who spotted a hard and largely unsolved problem, Ably is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide the infrastructure required for a high-bandwidth, always-connected world, we hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills who are ready and capable of taking on challenging realtime engineering problems.
As a company and engineering team we’re committed to a future internet that’s open, with all engineers contributing to existing open source projects.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. As an Ablyan, you’ll enjoy taking ownership and making an impact, with work that is both varied and challenging. To thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values, which are:
Open for all. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
Bias for action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
- Even The Best Do Better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
Bold creativity leads to the greatest rewards. When viewed through a different lense, what stands in the way can become the way. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice: bold creativity will always move us forward, create better outcomes, and set us apart.
What’s in it for you?
- A good, competitive salary
- A great company culture
- Share options
- The chance to learn and grow with a fast-moving company, supported by a learning budget that gives you access to professional training, events, conferences, workshops etc.
- Remote first: Unless you want to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London, you'll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions and summits
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!
- Regular company away days and social events
- Friday need-to-know drinks and snacks
- Health insurance, including Doctor@Hand
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A monthly wellbeing budget with Juno
- Cycle to work
- Company contributions towards your pension
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the spec exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.
We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion.