Technical Account Manager- Customer Success (remote, UK-based)
Location: Remote, mainly UK based, as travel to our London hub will be required once a month.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. Chatting on WhatsApp, hailing an Uber, asking Alexa what the weather will be like tomorrow, working in the same Google Doc as your colleague: all of these things rely on complex, behind-the-scenes realtime infrastructure. That’s what Ably provides for companies like HubSpot, Toyota Racing Development, OfferUp, and Hopin.
We now live in a remote-first world where realtime digital interactions underpin our daily lives. In the near future, Autonomous Vehicles, IoT devices (e.g. connected fridges or environment sensors), and AI-powered experiences will be the norm. But new infrastructure is required to power it all.
The opportunity in front of us is immense. Our mission is to become the definitive realtime infrastructure of the internet while powering and accelerating adoption of realtime user experiences. We’re on track. Everyday we deliver billions of realtime messages to more than 200 million people in 80 different countries across web, mobile, and IoT platforms. But we can’t rest yet. In five years we want to reach one billion people everyday.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at https://ably.com/careers and read the story of how Ably's core values came to be.
In this role
Ably works closely with its customers to ensure they succeed in delivering realtime applications at scale using the Ably platform APIs. We are expanding our Customer Success team with the hiring of a dedicated Customer Success Manager to look after our fast growing enterprise customer base. This will involve close engagement on a regular basis to ensure they are receiving the service they require – both technologically and with respect to support. Within this context you will also be responsible for helping them grow their usage of the Ably platform.
Ably is looking for motivated TAMs who have a desire to work in the cloud infrastructure industry, where you will build your technical skills as well as learn from top subject matter experts.
Day to day, you will:
- As the key internal point of contact for Ably customer engagement your first responsibility with each new customer will be ensuring they have a successful onboarding. As Ably is an API product, this includes making sure they have made the right architectural decisions, and using the platform in the most efficient way
- Thereafter, you will be responsible for maintaining relationships with our customers, providing regular overviews of the service (eg QBRs), understanding their future needs, ensuring they have access to all the Ably resources that are applicable, and maximising the value they gain from the platform
- Maintain a deep understanding of the Ably product so that you can lead value-adding prospect and customer conversations, understand their needs, and communicate these needs back to internal teams
- Communicate the product roadmap to customers, and gather their feedback to help drive product innovation, process improvement, improve support etc. Through this feedback, advocate for customers internally by sharing their needs and requirements with relevant areas of the business.
- Co-manage the process around upgrades, expansion and renewals with the commercial team for Business and Enterprise customers
- Make users love Ably by providing first-class customer support and service
- Work closely with colleagues from multiple functions (e.g. Developer Relations team, Sales, Engineering)
- Other Considerations:
Address all product-related queries on time
Guide customers on how to use key product features
Provide Ably product team and engineers with customers’ feedback to help identify potential new features or products
Report on product performance
Identify solutions to reduce support costs
It will be particularly valuable if you:
- Have 1-2 years + Customer Success or Technical Account Management experience in a SaaS/PaaS environment, Ideally as a Customer Success Manager
- Have prior experience managing core processes of Customer Success (QBR, Health scoring, Success planning, Retention, Churn, Cross/Up-sell, NPS, CAB, etc)
- Have a technical aptitude and an understanding of developer, engineering and cloud infrastructure concepts. Ably is a deeply technical platform with our primary users being developers so the ability to engage in valuable conversations with them will be vital. Prior experience working in a developer/API environment will be highly desirable
- Help CS leadership in building out new Customer Success processes and best practices
- Have a thorough knowledge of (or eagerness to learn about) the company’s products and their capabilities
- Be able to project manage multiple tasks from multiple accounts all with competing priorities
- Build long-term relationships (primarily via remote conversations) with your customer contacts and deeply understand their use-case and objectives
- Have the ability to communicate with key stakeholders at all levels of an Enterprise organisation
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team.
To provide the infrastructure required for the next generation of the internet, to tell the world about it, and to support everyone inside Ably to do so, we hire people who are ready and capable of taking on challenging problems in a high-growth environment.
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. To thrive at Ably, you’ll need to believe in and be prepared to do your work in line with our values:
Open for all. Open is a mindset. When open, we’re better collaborators, communicators and creators. Whether open source, standards, or protocols, open hearts, minds, and eyes. It’s better when it’s open.
Bias for action. We avoid analysis paralysis at all costs. We lean into doing in order to move us forward. When we have enough of what we need to act, we act.
Even the best do better. We want to be the best - but that doesn’t mean we rest when we are. Improvement and growth - true betterment - is an ongoing journey. One fuelled by curiosity and taking risks.
Technology needs humanity. Our technology means little without people - whether that’s how we treat our colleagues, or how we design developer experiences. Being human matters.
Dependable people make dependable things. Dependability is integral to our mission and technology, but being dependable starts with our people. When we care enough to take real ownership of our products and problems - all else will follow.
Bold creativity leads to the greatest rewards. When viewed through a different lense, what stands in the way can become the way. The bigger the challenge the easier the choice: bold creativity will always move us forward, create better outcomes, and set us apart.
If you’re interested in how our values came to be, have a read about it here!
What’s in it for you?
- A good, competitive salary
- A great company culture
- Share options
- The chance to learn and grow with a fast-moving company, supported by a learning budget that gives you access to professional training, events, conferences, workshops etc.
- Remote first: Unless you want to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London, you'll work from home most of the time, apart from when we have planning sessions and Summits
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up budget of £500, plus an annual top-up of £250
- Regular company away days and social events
- Friday need-to-know drinks and snacks
- Private health insurance, including Doctor@Hand
- Access to private and confidential coaching or counselling via Sanctus
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme with AXA
- A monthly wellbeing budget with Juno
- Company contributions towards your pension
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- 10 days of paid sick leave (including mental health days) per year
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the spec exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.
We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race or religion.